Recycling is becoming a part of our everyday lives. Most households have to recycle at least two types of materials, and many have to separate out waste in to even more categories.
With the worlds finite resources being used up, it is imperative that we recycle to reduce our usage of virgin material.
Global warming is predicted to cause more extreme weather conditions for us and our future generations. By reducing our emissions of greenhouse gases we can help to slow global warming and keep the temperature rise under 3°C.
Benefits of buying recycled products:
- Manufacturing products with recycled content generally creates much less waste and pollution, because of less transportation and refinery of the materials.
- Making a new product from recycled-content materials generally reduces the amount of energy and virgin materials needed to manufacture the product.
- It is estimated that nine jobs are created for every 15,000 tons of solid waste recycled into a product
- Products such as re-refined motor oil, retreaded tires, and remanufactured automotive batteries will often cost less than their virgin material counterparts.
- Buying recycled products helps to save material going to landfill and using up valuable space.
- The average person throws away 135 carrier bags over their life time; most of these could be re-used.
- Mobile phones that are sent to landfill leach substances in to ground water. Some of which are known to be in the ten most dangerous chemicals to human health.
- Each tonne of paper recycled saves 15 average sized trees.
- The amount of rubbish produced by the UK in one day is enough to fill Trafalgar Square up to the top of Nelson’s Column.
- On average every UK person throws away their own body weight in rubbish every 7 weeks.